Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Getting Ubuntu (Bodhi) Linux onto Archos 101 Internet Tablet - attempt 3 = Scuess

So after my my first failed attempt at getting my own install image to run, I turned to someone else's pre-made image.  But as mentioned in that forum, the taping action of the touch screen on that image didn't work.  Further, I couldn't get my USB keyboard and mouse to work either, which made it impossible to work on it any further.  Later mentioned in the forum was the Bodhi Linux project, which is based on Ubuntu and an Enlightenment desktop.  Not only was the touch screen working, but it seems the wireless drivers are also in much better shape than the base install of Angstrom Linux.

To get Bodhi Linux on your generation 8 (gen8) tablet do the following:


  1. Install the Archos SDE
  2. Download Bodhi for ARM
  3. Bring up the boot loader and choose recovery mode (Power on and hold the volume down button until the loader comes up, use the down volume to select 'recovery mode') and choose to re-install the firmware
  4. When the device goes into usb mode, connect the tablet to your computer and copy over the Bodhi .img file
  5. Rename your rootfs.img file to something else (as a back-up) or just delete it, then rename the bodhi .img file to rootfs.img
  6. Exit usb mode by pressing the power button on your device, then the recovery mode by pressing the power button again.
  7. On the next boot hold both the down and up volume buttons to boot into Bodhi.

3 comments:

  1. does bluetooth or usb keyboard/mouse works out of the box? curious because today kids smashed the digitizer so now I can't enter anything within android, and already installed some French Debian image some time ago did not have bluetooth working out of the box...
    thanks in advance for letting me know

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the device stolen last year, hence my lack of posts. Anyway, I do believe bluetooth was working; but just extremely hard to enable using the touch screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite being an alpha, Bodhi linux on the archos 101it is very good. Since I couldn't install the image from the link above, I have uploaded the file here:

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38867415/bodhi-linux-archos-g8.zip

    ReplyDelete