Monday, February 13, 2012

getting Ubuntu on Archos 101 IT attempt 1 = fail

I bought my tablet to use more as a laptop (when coupled with a leather case and keyboard), but android has poor Bluetooth connectivity, and occasionally I need apps that aren't normally installed on a mobile device.  Thus a good linux distribution would be idea.  Archos has made their SDE containing linux Angstrom freely available and easy to install.  Unfortunately this distribution uses a Gnome desktop which is difficult to use due to the small menus and buttons, and wifi doesn't work out of the box  and I haven't figured out how to get it running.

Unity and KDE have been working on the interface problem for some time and thus would make a much better choice.  According to an Ubuntu wiki post Kubuntu is currently working on the gen 8 tablets.  I've attempted my self but found the  instructions a bit vague, here's what I tried, but it didn't work and I'm not sure why.

I installed the Archos SDE on my generation 8 Archos 101 internet tablet

I then generated a kubuntu mobile img using rootstock.
$sudo apt-get install rootstock$sudo rootstock --fqdn archos --login u --password u --keepimage --imagesize 1500M --seed kubuntu-mobile --dist maverick

Next, I booted my tablet into android, and plugged it into my computer, allowing the computer to mount the tablet's filesystems.  Then copied the module files from the Linux Angstrom image to the one we generated via rootstock:
  • change to root 
$ sudo su
  • make mount points for each image 
# mkdir /media/img /media/img/1 /media/img/2
  • mount the images (note your quemu image is probably titled something different)
# mount qemu-armel-201202120033.img /media/img/1 -o loop# mount /media/A101IT/rootfs.img /media/img/2 -o loop
  • copy over the modules
# cp -r /media/img/2/lib/modules/* /media/img/1/lib/modules/
  • sync and unmount both images
# sync
# umount /media/img/1 /media/img/2

Next I swapped the Linux Angstrom image for the Kubuntu one 
  • Change back to normal user, back up the old image, and copy over the new one
# exit
$ cd /media/A101IT/
$ mv rootfs.img rootfs.img.bak
$ cp ~/qemu-armel-201202120033.img /media/A101IT/rootfs.img
$ sudo sync
Attempt to start the disto
  • Unmount (eject) the tablet's file systems, power off the device and boot into the developer edition (Power on and hold the volume up and volume down button at the same time until the 'starting development edition' screen comes up)
Since it doesn't work a trick to power down:
  • To power off again you'll need to reset by keeping the power button pressed for 10 seconds

1 comment:

  1. I've been working on Ubuntu as well for Archos Gen8. I've gotten Ubuntu 11.10 up and running with a custom kernel. The stock kernel doesn't work with newer Ubuntu releases, plus the new version I'm using (based on 2.6.37) has updated Bluetooth and WiFi drivers that seem much more reliable under a desktop OS than the stock drivers.

    Check it out here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1533037

    Currently only Archos 43it and 101it are supported, I only own an A43 but I'm looking into adding A70 support as well, hopefully I can perform the necessary modifications and have someone else test it.

    -CalcProgrammer1

    ReplyDelete