Saturday, February 11, 2012

New device

So now that I'm a core member of the LIONS, CEMMI, and Adherean, taking notes on paper has been an organizational nightmare.  Especially with the LIONS as I'm secretary and just have to type out all the notes to submit them anyway.  So I finally caved to the idea that a laptop might not be a bad thing to have as my current phone sucks (I downgraded to a Samsung intercept so I could go on on Virgin Mobile's $25 a month plan so I tolerate it) and even if I had a full sized keyboard for it, it would be too slow to be usable.

I never though I'd like tablets until I had a few sales pitches and a couple interviewees do a mini presentation of their thesis to me.  I realized their value as a mobile presentation device for such occasions, but knew I'd still want a keyboard, and thus the device would have to have Bluetooth.   I also knew there was no way in hell I could justify one over $200 when there's so many good netbooks out three.  I thought about just upgrading to an all-in-one phone like the Atrix, but realized I still wanted a tablet form factor to pair with the phone, and I wanted the pairing device to be brand / model independent.  So the real solution is device with a dock that can plug into the mini HDMI port of a phone to grab the video, and the mircoUSB to control the cursor / touch screen.   Since this doesn't yet exist, I decided I needed to start hunting bargain sites for a tablet.  After stumbling across a WOOT deal, I now have an Archos 10.1 internet tablet, to which this blog will be dedicated to.

No comments:

Post a Comment